***LAST UPDATED: 2nd January 2005***
- John Johnson (unknown - 1848)
- Benjamin Johnson (1821-unknown)
- Martha Johnson (1852-1898)
- John Johnson (unknown -
married Mary Elizabeth Smith
(unknown - 1849)
at St. Giles Church, Oxford, in 1820. Known
- Benjamin Smith Johnson -
Baptised 1821 at St Giles Church, Oxford.
- Susanna Johnson - Baptised 1823 at St Giles Church,
- John Henry Johnson - Baptised 1824 at St Giles Church,
Oxford. Died 1824 aged 3 weeks. Buried St. Giles Church, 1824.
- John Henry Johnson - Baptised 1826 at St Giles Church,
Oxford. Died 1828 aged 2 and a half years. Buried St. Giles Church,
- Julia Anne Johnson - Baptised 1828 at St Giles Church,
Oxford. Died 1828 as an infant. Buried St. Giles Church, 1828.
- Emma Johnson - Born 1829. Baptised 1829 at St Giles
Church, Oxford. Died 1829 as an infant. Buried St. Giles Church, 1829.
- John Johnson - Born 1830. Baptised 1830 at St Giles
- Henry Heritage Johnson - Baptised 1834 at St Giles
Church, Oxford. Died 1834 as an infant. Buried St. Giles Church, 1834.
- Ann Johnson - Baptised 1836 at St Giles Church,
When John and Mary married, it was noted their banns were read in the
parish of Chipping Norton.
At the time of the children's baptism, it was noted the family were
living in Windmill Yard/Alley/Pasage in the parish of St. Giles. John
was noted as being a sawyer on all occassions.
When John died, aged 53 years, it was noted he was of Jericho in the
St. Thomas Parish but he was buried at St. Giles. When Mary died, aged
48 years, it was noted she was of Caroline Row and was buried at St.
Benjamin Johnson (1821 -
married Martha Cooper (unknown - 1897)
on Christmas Day1840,
St Mary Magdalene Church in Oxford.
- Benjamin Johnson - Baptised 1843 at St. Paul's Church,
- Mary Johnson - Baptised 1844 at St. Paul's Church,
- John Johnson - Baptised 1846 at St. Paul's Church,
- Daniel Johnson - Baptised 1848 at St. Paul's Church,
- Benjamin Johnson
- Martha Johnson -
Born Oxford, 1852. Baptised 1852 at St. Thomas Church, Oxford. Married Henry Charles Rawlings
1872. Died Oxford, 1898.
- Benjamin Johnson - Baptised 1853 at St. Thomas Church,
- Sarah Johnson - Baptised 1855 at St. Thomas Church,
Oxford. Married Alfred Brain. Known children:
- Alfred Brain
- William Brain
- George Brain
- William Johnson - Baptised 1857 at St. Thomas Church,
- Daniel Johnson - Baptised 1860 at St. Thomas Church,
When Benjamin and
Martha married they were both underage. Benjamin gave his occupation as
being a sawyer, as was his father. Martha's father William was a dealer
in earthenware. Neither Benjamin nor Martha could write as they both
signed their marriage certificate with a cross. One of the witnesses at
the marriage was Wiliam Cooper - presumably Martha's father.
On Martha's birth
occupation was a hawker (a street seller). Benjamin's wife, Martha,
registered their daughter Martha's birth.
When the elder four
children were baptised, the family were noted as living at Jericho
From the 1881
census, Benjamin, his wife Martha
and Daniel were living with their other daughter Sarah and her family
in Oxford. Benjamin is recorded as being an unemployed hawker. Martha
is recorded as being born in Stafford (although both the 1851 and 1891
censuses give her as being born in Derbyshire), and being an annuitant
receiving an income via a pension etc). Daniel is recorded as being an
unemployed labourer. Sarah was working as a laundress, and her husband
Alfred was a labourer.
Martha died in the
Oxford Workhouse, 1897, aged 73 years, although this age was probably
incorrect. The 1891 census recorrectly gives her as being 71 years,
meaning she would have been 77 years old when she died.