married Mary (unknown - 1831)
in an unknown year. Known children:
- William Baskett - Baptised 1806, St Mary's Church, Portsea,
- John Baskett - Baptised
1809, St Mary's Church, Portsea.
- Thomas Baskett - Baptised 1814, St Mary's Church, Portsea.
At the time of Thomas' baptism, Joseph and Mary were living in
Providence Row, Portsea. Joseph was recorded as being a labourer.
Joseph died in 1830 aged 52 years. Mary died in 1831 aged 56 years.
Both were buried in Portsea.
Rachel Weston (1811-1873)
Bexley, Kent in 1834. Known children:
- Mary Baskett - Born 1840 in Dartford, Kent. Baptised 1848
at St. Alfege Church in Greenwich.
- George Owen Baskett - Born 1842 in Dartford. Baptised
1848 at St. Alfege Church in Greenwich. Maried Annie Cramp in 1870.
- William Millard Baskett - Born 1843 in Bexley, Kent.
Baptised 1848 at St. Alfege Church in Greenwich. Died 1849 aged 5
years. Buried at St. Alfege Church.
- Emily Baskett - Baptised 1845 in BexleyHeath, Kent. Died
1852 in Greenwich.
- Matilda Baskett - Born 1846 in Dartford. Baptised 1848 at
St. Alfege Church in Greenwich. Died 1852 in Greenwich..
- Eliza Baskett - Born 1849 in Greenwich. Baptised
1849 at St. Alfege Church in Greenwich. Married Joseph Harvey in
- Maria Baskett - Born 1852 in Greenwich. Baptised 1852 at
St. Alfege Church in Greenwich. Married William Wharf in 1876.
- Alfred Baskett - Born 1854 in Greenwich. Baptised 1854 at
St. Alfege Church in Greenwich. Married Matilda Willing in 1877.
Throughout his life, John worked as a cordwainer (a shoemaker). As both
John and Mary were from Portsea it is unknown why they moved to and
married in Bexley in Kent. The children Mary, George Owen, William
Millard and Matilda were all baptised on the same day in Greenwich. The
address given at the time was Norris Buildings, Greenwich. I presume
that Emily was poorly when she was a baby, this could be a reason why
she was baptised closer to her birth when the family were living in
For some reason, Eliza was not recorded during the 1851 census, and i
also haven't been able to find her in the 1871 census. She was present
at the family home during the 1861 census
The family were still living in the Norris Buildings during the 1871
George Owen Baskett was working as a Police Officer in the 1871 census.
By 1881 his wife was a widow. I haven't yet found his death entry to
find out whether he died whilst on duty.